Translate

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Belgian cookies!

     The day before my science competition this year, Momma took me shopping and I saw... SPECULAAS! For those who don't know speculaas (speculoos if you speak French or English) are a type of spice cookie that may or may not have a Belgian origin (its often hard for me to tell if things are from Belgium or the Netherlands) and are popular among my family for being "Dutch windmill cookies" that taste fantastic in coffee.
     Anyway back to the story. We were looking for snacks to give to the Science Olympiads and wound up in the cookies and cracker isle when I found all sorts of Dutch cookies from speculaas to some types I've never seen before. I saw that one particular type of speculaas s coated on one side with Belgian chocolate. Momma agreed to get them!
     On the car ride home I was surprised when I turned over the package and saw "product of Belgium" printed on the back. Sure I wasn't IN BELGIUM but I did get a small taste of it and I LOVED it. The actual cookie is a bit like a graham cracker and the chocolate may be a bit bitter compared to what I'm used to (Hershey's and other American brands) but I enjoy them. They go great with a Tintin comic or my Harry Potter book in Dutch.
     The food is actually one of the things I'm most looking forward to when I go because I have read that "the Belgians eat like the French in quality and like the Germans in quantity." Also who doesn't love waffles or fries? What interesting food have you tried?


No comments:

Post a Comment